Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sandcastles


Today was just one of those picture perfect days in California. For once, I had no photo shoots so I took the day off to savior every moment of this fine day. I went to Corona del Mar to see the Sandcastle contest. Since I was a little girl, I had a fascination with Sandcastles. I used to live in Venice Beach and would spend many a delightful afternoon building Sandcastles. I have often heard about this annual contest in CDM but somehow I always missed seeing it. The contest started at 10:00 and the builders had to stop by 2:00, then the judging and by 3:00 announcing the winners. This years theme was Go for the Gold. Not the greatest theme. If they advertise it as a Sandcastle contest, I expect to see Sandcastles. The good news there were two Sandcastles at the contest. The Sandcastle in these photographs was the tallest. It was built by a family & employees of Doggie Walk. I talked to the owner, Chris Crosson; this is their 15th year as a contestant. It originally started out as his family event each year but then his employees are now sharing in the fun. Every year, they do a castle and there is always a dog, too (please see last photo with the dog)!! It was a treat to hang out at the beach all afternoon, people watching, eating hot dogs, etc. It was nice change of pace for me. Starting next weekend, I will be back to working every weekend until Thanksgiving. This afternoon will be like a good dream.



There were so many children out see to the contest.













Share/Bookmark

1 comments:

gbrummett said...

I've always loved sand castles too!!!

Looks like a really fun time.